CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 21, 2008

Calling All Shinys! Calling All Shinys!

As mentioned in my “Nicknames: Good or Bad? I say ‘good’ and here’s my reason why!” blog, I was crowned with the nickname ‘Shiny’ by a handful of friends I like to chat with from the Bar. Now, the name can be interpreted as someone who is easily distracted by things, doesn’t have an all that great ability to remain focused on what they’re doing/talking about. Yeah, that’s me in a nutshell. Though there are some who might take offense for being given such a name, I, on the other hand, take great pride in it and run with it like the torch runner for the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

It has come to my attention there is another “Shiny” out there. Like any other day, I was yakking it up on the Yahoo IM with my friend, Winter. Much to my surprise, she told me there’s this blogger dude that goes by the name Shiny, too. I sat and stared at my monitor with my jaw hanging, rereading the news she’d just given me. What followed afterwards was a sense of jealousy. Yeah, I’ll be the first to admit it…I was jealous that someone else had MY name, a name in which I thought was only mine but apparently not.

So I had to ask myself, ‘why do I feel this way over a NAME?’ Now, it took a while too do some self-searching and I figured it out; I’m disgruntled because I’m an only child. Now for those who are only children, I’m hoping you can relate when I say we have a tendency to be possessive and can be at times, yes, even...selfish *gasp!* I for one can get that way sometimes. For some reason, I’ve had this issue for years about things that I consider mine. I can be overly protective of my family, friends, personal belongings and in this case, a nickname which I believe is one of my few prized possessions.

I’m wrapping this blog up by saying that this is something I have to live with. I know I may sound like one of those kids you see bickering with another kid in the sand box and throwing a temper tantrum because they don't want to share. But as an adult, I know I have to play nice and share…*grumbles to self*.

Henceforth, I will go by the name, “Shinette”, as it's a more feminine form of Shiny and the blogger that Winter has blogged about before, is a dude. This will clear up any confusion as to who she is blogging about. As for you Shiny, yes…you, I know you’re reading this, it’s nice to know I’m not the only Shiny out there in the internet world but I have to have a sense of distinctiveness. So I’m renouncing a portion of my name and taking on a new one I can only hope, no one else has! Much love to you Shiny, and your shininess!

4 comments:

MaryO said...

No way can I call you shinette. To much to type for me sweetie. Plus I know of no one else with goat girl.

Lex Valentine said...

It's true that there is no other goat girl... altho there was this one blog and there was goat on it... bah! I forget what the goat deal was exactly. LOL the dude Shiny is pretty funny and he's very different from "our" Shiny. Well, maybe not. He was a little dense in the chatroom. LOL Maybe he earned the name too. Luckily, he's a really nice dude. The kind that rather than think of a Shiny War, thinks of the power of combined shinyness so as to take over the world like Pinkie and the Brain.

Anonymous said...

You see, I'd rather not think of you as competition for the name. I feel more of a kinship now -- as if you're the sister I never had. If you decide that you'd rather take on a unique name, I completely understand and respect that. But I also believe that there's room for both of us out on the blogosphere.

That being said -- I'm so linking to this blog entry from mine!

-- Shiny

rxvenomqueen said...

Mare Bear - I'll take Shiny over Goat Girl. Why? Because being called GG just makes for a long explanation for those that don't know the story on how I got it LOL

Wint - I like the idea of Pinkie and the Brain. I think Pinkie would suit me well, don't you think :D

Shiny - I'm gonna stick to Shiny, just because you talked me into it. And besides, the more Shinys out there, the merrier!