CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Price I Will Pay


Ahhh, summer is on its way, folks! With the turn of the season, that means the concerts are on their way. And consequently, it also is the time of year where I blow my money like its going out of style. However, the way I see it, it’s so totally worth it. I love going to concerts for numerous reasons: great music, brawls, mosh pits, crowd surfing, drunks, people. Sure, to some people reading this blog, the things I listed more than likely aren't their idea of a good time, yet to me, it’s heaven all in one arena.

I’ve been to numerous concerts in my lifetime. I can’t name all of them because honestly, I’ve forgotten (yet another reason why I earned the nickname Shiny). There’ve been times when I’ve wondered how much money I’ve spent in concert tickets altogether since the first ticket was purchased. Shit, my guess is at least $5,000? Just a ballpark figure. That’s with fuel, food, drinks, tour t-shirts included too. Shit…why does this cost so damned much? Meh. Doesn’t matter to me really. When it's one of my favorite bands, going to their show is priceless.

Now this is where I’m going to get to the point of this blog. Like I said, summer is upon us and here I am, beginning my scrimping and saving for the upcoming shows. So while I may be bitching and complaining that I can’t have my fun now, come summer, I'll make up for the fun that was placed on hold. Good things come to those who wait…right? Not necessarily. You see, there’s this one particular tour that I especially enjoy attending. It’s become tradition to hundreds of thousands of fans and it’s about this time of year, when people all over the world are itching for the tour’s lineup of bands TBA. I’m talking about Ozzfest.

Yes! Yes! Yes! I love seeing the Prince of Darkness in concert. Along with some of the other bands that are privileged enough to tour with the old geezer. Please note, when I say ‘old geezer’, I mean that with respect. I mean, Ozzy’s how old now? And I’m sure all the drugs he’s consumed in his lifetime hasn’t helped the aging process.
Anyways, here’s my beef.

FUCKING METALLICA. I mean it! FUCKING METALLICA! I’ve seen these guys in Chicago of ’03. Talk about a fucking killer show! The prices for the tickets were steep as hell, but overall, I feel that it was worth it.
Alright, alright…stop the driveling and get to the point already!

Sometime on the radio today, it was announced that Metallica will be touring with Ozzy this year. Does anyone have a clue what this means? If you’re scratching your head right now, let me explain it in 4 words: Out Fucking Rageous Prices!!! The cost alone of going to Ozzfest can cost a pretty penny if you want decent seats. Now add the Kings of Metal to this tour, and you’ve got a show that will force your ass into bankruptcy. I think I may need to explain myself here. I know no one’s holding a gun to my head, telling me to buy these tickets or else. But for those that truly know me know that I’m a diehard concert goer and that I will get these tickets one way or another. I don’t care if I have to starve for these tickets. Hell, I’ll even go as far as getting a second job if need be.

The thing that really pisses me off, is why the FUCK do these tickets need to be so costly??? The cost for Ozzfest tickets is reasonable, that is, if you want to park your ass on the lawn. Now if it’s true that Metallica is headlining this tour…I’m screwed. Royally. And the reason the tickets would be so outrageously priced would be Metallica’s doing. These guys really love there money. Understandable. I love money too. But if you’re as famous as these guys, and are sitting on the pile of green they’re sitting on, why would you feel the need to rape your fans out of their hard earned money when all they want is to show their loyalty to you? Am I making a valid point here? I hope so. It’s just something that burns my ass.

Okay…I’m done bitching now. Have a great Wednesday!

4 comments:

shiny said...

Sadly, there's an easy answer:

Because people will pay the fuckin' outrageous ticket prices.

It's absolutely insane. the money nowadays doesn't go as much to Ozzy and Metallica as it does to the corporate entities behind them who market the product. And for this reason I have a feeling i won't be attending many stadium rock shows any time soon, and will be limited to mor eintimate club shows.

Lex Valentine said...

Shit back in the day (the 80's LOL) I paid a small fortune to see Monsters of Rock in Oakland. Then at the end of the tour, when I'd moved down to the high desert from the Salinas Valley, I got to see MOR again in LA. Geez it cost a buttload of money back then. But no way was I gonna miss that lineup... Metallica, Van Halen, Scorpions... ah, the old days of banging my head and moshing... These days, fuck it. Save my $ and watch the PPV. LOL

Andrew Long said...

Hey! Thanks for stoppin' by my blog -- another HUGE Star Wars freak here, as well :-D

I go to alot of concerts as well, and yea, waayyy to much money has been spent on a little piece of paper that says, "Let me in, please".

Ticketmaster is the worst...those convenience fees and this fee and that fee is what make those tickets so expensive.

marty mankins said...

Only $5k in concerts (including travel and merchandise)? That's seem like a low ball figure, at least thinking about all of the shows I've seen over the years. Mine would be closed to $20k

Having seen Ozzy on his own (1996) and with Black Sabbath (2001), he does rock. Almost saw him again in 2005 when Ozzfest was scheduled (but cancelled) here in Utah. I was major pissed.