CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Home Sweet Home?

“We’re almost there,” I said to my husband, Michael, earlier tonight.” His blue-green eyes were kind of droopy after having worked from 5am to 6pm today, yet I was able to find a spark of happiness behind them. When I spoke those words to him, I was referring to the home we’re trying to buy. I can’t even describe what kind of feeling it is to know we may be first time home owners by sometime next week.

Michael and I have known each other since our late teens. We got married a year after we met. I’m sure most of you are somewhat shocked to learn this. Meh. Not me. I knew it was love at first sight when I first laid eyes on him. And as for him? I think he was more attracted to my ass, which was nicely shaped back in those days LOL. I keep reminding myself these days, I’m not the hot little number I once used to be. *Sobs* I need one of those mirrors that don’t go any further below my collarbones!

Back to the story…before we got married, we lived in an apartment together. We wanted to test the waters and to see what life was like living with the other before we made a solid, lifelong commitment. To this day, we’re still married. We’ll be going on…hmmm…9 years in August? LOL…pretty bad that I have a hard time remembering how long we’ve been together. Now in the duration of that time, we’ve lived in many apartments. Until two months ago, I told him I had it. I was fed up. Here’s why…

We received a letter from property management stating our rent was going to be raised an extra $10 a month come time our lease renewed, equaling a total of $815.00 per month. I hit the roof that day and told Michael we were moving. I didn’t care where! I just wanted to get the fuck out of the place that’s sucking me dry out of all my hard earned dough! Needless to say, he argued with me. He tried to convince me that there aren’t many affordable places we can live, that have decent schools and safe neighborhoods all in the same proximity.

One day I got home for work and he was doing something on the computer. He called me over and I put my purse down and kicked off my shoes (the ones my friends at work say look like pilgrim shoes). I walked over to where he was sitting and he showed me a mobile home for sale on the internet. BEFORE YOU CRINGE, I know there are some people out there that look at these types of homes and turn their noses at it. It’s a HOME. And it’s a START. And lastly, it’s a roof over my head, including my family.


It bothers me that people are judging me already for the type of home I’m trying to buy. How dare they look down on me when all I’m doing is trying to provide for my family? I’m sure it’ll only get worse when/if Michael and I actually get the home. It’s alright though. Why, do you ask, am I not taking it so personal? Because I’m learning as I get older, that life isn’t about impressing other people. It’s all about surrounding myself with those I know that will love and support me unconditionally, no matter how little I can afford.

Have a great Wednesday peeps. I’ll keep you informed on how things are going with the home. Caio for now!

6 comments:

shiny said...

"I’m learning as I get older, that life isn’t about impressing other people. It’s all about surrounding myself with those I know that will love and support me unconditionally, no matter how little I can afford."

Spot on. Best of luck in your pursuit of a new home...

Lex Valentine said...

I hope you get it! I'd cross my fingers and toes for you, then I'd fall down when I try to walk. ;)

MaryO said...

Hey I am a trailer raised kid. Nothing wrong with it. I had a roof over my head, clothes on my back and food in my belly. Plus I have been in some trailers that were better than houses.
Here's hoping you get the one you want and everything goes perfect for you. You know I am behind you!! GO GOAT!!

The Absurdist said...

Don't you be all worrying about what others think.

Is it a manufactured home? I have often thought of buying land, putting a manufactured home on the property until I can afford to build the home that I truly want.

You go girl!

Static said...

Living together first is a great idea. My wife did that and we got married a year later, that was almost 10 years ago now.

Life certainly is not about impressing others, who cares what anyone else thinks. Live your life and be happy.

Jane Smith said...

"Because I’m learning as I get older, that life isn’t about impressing other people."

Absolutely right. Take responsibility for yourself and your family; do what you can to help others; be kind; and try not to worry.

The best of luck to you, now and in the future.